All books are in their original cloth bindings and are in good used condition, unless otherwise noted. All books are essentially ordinary octavo in size unless otherwise noted. N.B. Postage is at cost; books ordered together will be shipped together, often at considerably reduced cost.
1. Alexander, James W. Thoughts on Family Worship. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1990. (First published 1847) 260pp $8
2. Alleine, Joseph. A Sure Guide to Heaven. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1989. Paperback, single line of writing inside front cover. 148pp $3
3. Ambrose, Isaac. Looking Unto Jesus: A view of the Everlasting Gospel; or The Soul’s Eyeing of Jesus, as Carrying on the Great Work of Man’s Salvation, from First to Last. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1986. xvi, 694pp $18
4. Barker, William. Puritan Profiles: 54 Influential Puritans at the time when the Westminster Confession of Faith was written. Ross-shire, Scotland: Mentor (an imprint of Christian Focus), 1996. 320pp $7
5. Baxter, Richard. The Practical Works of Richard Baxter, in four volumes. Including A Christian Directory (vol 1), An Alarm to the Unconverted (vol 2), The Saint’s Everlasting Rest (vol 3), The Reformed Pastor (vol 4). Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1990. Large 8vo, lx, xvi, 948pp; xiv, 1063pp; x, 1068pp; xiv, 1047pp. ***This 4 volume set, photocopied from a 19th century reprint, is the best readily available edition of Baxter’s Practical Works and is a very close reprint of the 1707 4 volume folio set; by contrast the 23 volume 19th century edition is heavily edited and should be avoided. $400.
6. Baxter, Richard. The Reformed Pastor. Edited by William Brown. London: Religious Tract Society, 1862. Red cloth, staining to covers, brown spotting on pages. xvi, 311pp $10
7. Beeke, Joel R. A Reader’s Guide to Reformed Literature: An Annotated Bibliography of Reformed Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 1999. Paperback. 98pp $8
8. Bennett, Arthur, ed. The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan prayers and devotions. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1994. Paperback, 223pp $10
9. Binning, Hugh. The Works of Reverend Hugh Binning. Edited M. Leishman. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1992. Large octavo, DJ, with interior corner of back of DJ ripped off but present. lvi, 659pp ***Reprinted from the 1858 4th edition. $50.
10. Bolton, Robert. General Directions for a Comfortable Walking with God. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. xxiv,444pp $20.
11. Bolton, Robert. A Treatise on Comforting Afflicted Consciences. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. xliv, 390pp $30
12. Bolton, Samuel, Nathaniel Vincent, Thomas Watson. The Puritans on Conversion. Forward by Albert Martin. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1990. Ex-library with card pocket at front, shelf sticker on spine. DJ with plastic cover. x, 211pp $10.
13. Bolton, Samuel. The True Bounds of Christian Freedom. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1978. Paperback. Penciling inside front cover. 224pp $5
14. Boston, Thomas. The Complete Works of the Late Rev. Thomas Boston, Ettrick. Edited by Rev Samuel M’Millan. 12 Volumes. (Wheaton, IL: Richard Owen Roberts, 1980. Previously owned by Ernie Springer, with neat label inside front cover and embossed stamp to first and last page of each volume. Very light spotting to covers, otherwise as new and mint. 661; 674; 655; 550; 632; 682; 650; 604; 620; 636; 411; 503pp ***Reprinted from the 1853 edition of the complete works. $400
15. Boston, Thomas, and Curtis I. Crenshaw. How to Profit from our Afflictions (Originally published as The Crook in the Lot). Rewritten with a memoir and preface. Memphis, TN: Footstool, 1990. Paperback. 165pp $4
16. Bradford, John. The Writings of John Bradford, M.A. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1979. Two volumes, DJs. xi, 592; xlviii, 432pp ***A reprint of the Parker Society edition of 1848 & 1853. $50.
17. Brook, Benjamin. The Lives of the Puritans, in Three volumes. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1994. DJs. Owner’s label inside front cover, under dust jacket: Ernie Springer, and embossed stamp on first and final pages. Almost mint. xxviii, 452; viii, 507; x,556pp. $95.
18. Brooks, Thomas. The Secret Key to Heaven: The vital Importance of Private Prayer. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2006. Paperback, crease to back cover. xvi,288pp ***First published in 1665 as The Privie Key of Heaven. $8
19. Brown, John, editor. The Christian Pastor’s Manual: A Selection of Tracts on the Duties, Difficulties and Encouragements of the Christian Ministry. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. (First published 1826) Some spotting to green cloth. vi,414pp. $15.
20. Brown, John, D.D. Discourses and Sayings of our Lord. In Three volumes. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1990. DJ. xix,508; x,519; x,510pp $45
21. Bunyan, John. The Works of John Bunyan. In Three volumes, edited by George Offor. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1991. DJs. (10.25”x7”) xviii,lxxx,4, 771pp; viii,758; xi,790pp ***First Banner edition, reprinted from the 1854 edition. $50.
22. SOLD Burgess, Anthony. Spiritual Refining: or a Treatise of Grace and Assurance, and Spiritual Refining: Part II, or a Treatise of Sinne. Ames, IA: International Outreach, 1991. 2 volumes. (xxii), 696, (7); (xvi), 368pp (12). ***These are, respectively, photolithographs of the 1652 and 1654 editions. $50.
23. Burroughs, Jeremiah. The Evil of Evils, or the Exceeding Sinfulness of Sin. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1992. DJ. xix, 343pp $35
24. Burroughs, Jeremiah. Gospel Fear. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. xxiii, 166pp $8
25. Burroughs, Jeremiah. The Saints’ Happiness, together with the Several Steps leading Thereunto. Delivered in Divers Lectures on the Beatitudes. Beaver Falls, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, no date. Sticker on first page. vi, 264pp $20
26. Burroughs, Jeremiah. The Saint’s Treasury. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. iv, 175pp $18
27. Burroughs, Jeremiah. Two Treatises of Mr. Jeremiah Burroughs: The first of Earthly-Mindedness, the Second of Conversing in Heaven and Walking with God. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. DJ. (14), iv, 219pp $10
28. Carson, John L and David W. Hall, editors. To Glorify and Enjoy God: A Commemoration of the 350th Anniversary of the Westminster Assembly. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1994. First edition. DJ. xiv, 338pp $5
29. Chandos, John, ed. In God’s Name: Examples of Preaching in England from the Act of Supremacy to the Act of Uniformity 1534-1662, Chosen and Edited with an introduction and annotations, by John Chandos. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, 1971. Small tear to rear of DJ. xxxi, 586pp $15
30. Charles, Thomas and Edward Morgan. Thomas Charles’ Spiritual Counsels Selected from his Letters and Papers by Edward Morgan. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1993. DJ. xlii,477pp $10
31. Cohen, Charles Lloyd. God’s Caress: The Psychology of Puritan Religious Experience. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1986. Paperback, price on title with corner cut off, toning to pages. 310pp $8.
32. Collinson, Patrick. The Elizabethan Puritan Movement. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Paperback. 527pp $40.
33. D’Aubigne, J H Merle. The Protector: A Vindication. On Oliver Cromwell. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1983. 281pp $10
34. Edwards, Jonathan. The Works of Jonathan Edwards. Two volumes. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1990. Slight staining to margins of about 40 pages of volume one, occasional very neat light underlining and at least one instance of neat marginal writing. Volume two very good. (10.25”x7”) ccxxxiv,691; iii, 969pp $40
35. Ferguson, Sinclair B. John Owen on the Christian Life. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1987. xiii, 297pp $13
36. Flavel, John. The Mystery of Providence. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1995. Paperback. 221pp $6
37. Foster, Stephen. Their Solitary Way: The Puritan Social Ethic in the First Century of Settlement in New England. New Haven: Yale, 1971. DJ scuffed and has several small tears; owner’s name on first page. xxii, 214pp $3.50
38. Fraser, James (Of Alness). A Treatise on Sanctification. Revised, with biographical and critical introduction by the Rev. John MacPherson, M.A. Forward by Sinclair Ferguson. Audubon, NJ: Old Paths Publications, 1992. DJ. xxxi, 493pp $15
39. Fuller, Andrew. The Complete Works of Andrew Fuller. Three volumes. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1988. Some spotting to covers. xii, 727; viii, 836; vii, 856pp. $65
40. Gaustad, Edwin S. Liberty of Conscience: Roger Williams in America. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1991. Paperback, front cover split at joint almost half way down. xiv, 229pp $5
41. Gillespie, George. Aaron’s Rod Blossoming. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1985. xx, 276pp $18.
42. Goodwin, Thomas. The Works of Thomas Goodwin. 12 Volumes. Eureka, CA: Tanski, 1996. xxxiv,564; lxxv,467; xxx,528; vi, 569; xii, 548; xiv,522; vii,576; xi,593; vi,514; vi,567; vi, 546; 334pp ***This edition first published by Nichol in 1861- 1866. Previously owned by Ernie Springer of Old Paths publications, with neat labels inside each volume; otherwise as new. $400
43. Greaves, Richard L. Saints and Rebels: Seven Nonconformists in Stuart England. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1985. DJ xiv,223pp $16.
44. Gray, Andrew. The Works of the Reverend and Pious Andrew Gray. With an introduction by Joel Beeke. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1992. DJ. iv,499pp ***This edition derived from an edition published in 1839. $20.
45. Guthrie, William. The Christian’s Great Interest. London: Banner of Truth, 1969. Paperback, title page and last several pages worn at edges. 207pp ***An excellent practical work. $5.
46. Haller, William. The Rise of Puritanism, or The Way to the New Jerusalem as Set Forth in Pulpit and Press from Thomas Cartwright to John Lilburne and John Milton, 1570-1643. New York: Harper, 1957. Paperback. 464pp $5.
47. Hambrick-Stowe, Charles E. The Practice of Piety: Puritan Devotional Disciplines in Seventeenth-Century New England. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1988. Paperback. xvi, 298pp $15.
48. Harrison, Frank Mott. John Bunyan: A Story of his Life. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1995. Paperback. Front top corner of cover and first several pages bent. x, 213pp $5.
49. Henry, Matthew. The Complete Works of the Rev. Matthew Henry. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 1979. Two volumes. Light wear to spine of volume 1. ix,630; 762pp $45.
50. Henry, Matthew. The Young Christian. Ross-shire: Christian Focus, 1987. Paperback. 64pp $10.
51. Hindson, Edward, ed. Introduction to Puritan Theology. Forward by J.I. Packer. Grand Rapids, MI: Guardian Press, 1976. DJ somewhat worn. ***Included is a folding diagram of Perkins Plan of Salvation. 282pp $30.
52. Hooker, Thomas. The Soul’s Humiliation. Ames, IA: International Outreach, 2000. DJ has slight tear at top of spine. 167pp $18.
53. Kevan, Ernest F. The Grace of Law: A Study of Puritan Theology. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 1965. DJ worn around all edges. 294pp $35.
54. Lewis, Peter. The Genius of Puritanism, with a forward by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. Sussex: Carey Publications, 1975. Paperback, Covers worn, with owners names on title. 144pp $5.
55. Manton, Thomas. The Complete Works of Thomas Manton. 22 volumes. Worthington, PA: Maranatha, n.d.. Top corners of a few pages of volume 4 bent; Volume 9 has slight white scuffing on front cover, volume 14 has slight marks on rear cover; volume 15 has underlining in first 60 pages. xlii,504; viii,475; viii,494; 481; 503; viii,495; viii,492; viii,498; viii,492; viii,490; vii,493; vii,494; vii,492; vii,489; 489; vii,494; vii,504pp; viii,495; vii,496; viii,512; viii,488; 460pp (including index). $350
56. Mather, Cotton. The Great Works of Christ in America. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1979 (First published 1702). 2 volumes: DJs; DJ on first volume has small tears at top of spine. xi,626; 681pp $70.
57. Morgan, Edmund S. The Puritan Dilemma: The Story of John Winthrop. HarperCollins, 1958. Paperback. xii, 224pp $16.
58. Morgan, Edmund S. The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England. New York: Harper & Row, 1966. Paperback, 196pp $15.
59. Morgan, Edmund S. Visible Saints: The History of a Puritan Idea. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1963. Paperback. 159pp $12.
60. Mead, Matthew. The Almost Christian Discovered. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1989. Highlighting and underlining to first 90 pages. Covers slightly spotted. 211pp $10.
61. Mead, Matthew. The Sermons of Matthew Mead: Original Sermons on the Jews: and on Falling into the Hands of the Living God. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. xiv, 390pp $20.
62. MacGregor, Geddes. The Thundering Scot: A Portrait of John Knox. DJ torn and scuffed, several small pieces missing. Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1957. 240pp $6.
63. M’Crie, Thomas. Unity of the Church. Dallas, TX: Presbyterian Heritage Publications, 1989. Rear corner of DJ torn, but complete. 218pp #10.
64. Miller, Perry. The New England Mind: From Colony to Province (Volume 1) and The New England Mind: The Seventeenth Century (Volume 2). Boston: Beacon Press, 1953. Paperback. Penciling inside front cover of volume 1; Volume 2 has minor markings in the margins of the forward and in the latter third of the book, not affecting text. Crease in spine of volume 2. 513; xii, 528pp $40.
65. Miller, Perry and Thomas H. Johnson editors. The Puritans: A Sourcebook of their Writings. Two Volumes. New York: Harper Torchbooks, 1963. Paperbacks. Front bottom corner of volume 1 bent. xviii,377,xix-lxviii; ix,379-831pp.
66. Murray, Iain H. The Reformation of the Church: A collection of Reformed and Puritan documents on Church Issues. Selected with Introductory Notes by Iain H. Murray. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1987. Paperback. Rear cover scuffed, Several pages near the end have top corners bent (not affecting text) 413pp $12.
67. [Nonconformist Ministers]. Farewell Sermons of some of the Most Eminent of the Nonconformist Ministers Delivered at the Period of their Ejectment by the Act of Uniformity in the year 1662. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1992. DJ. xvi,449pp ***First published in two volumes in 1662. $30.
68 Perkins, William. A Commentary on Hebrews 11 (1609 Edition). Edited by John H. Augustine, with introductory essays by John H Augustine, Donald K McKim, Geralt T. Sheppard, and Richard A Muller. New York: Pilgrim Press, 1991. Tall paperback. 94,206pp $30.
69. Primus, John H. Holy Time: Moderate Puritanism and the Sabbath. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1989. Glossy hardback. viii,184pp $16.
70. Rice, N L. God Sovereign and Man Free: or the Doctrine of Divine Foreordination and Man’s Free Agency. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1985. Some speckles on front cover. 225pp $10.
71. Rippon, John. A Brief Memoir of the Life and Writings of the late Rev. John Gill, D.D. Harrisonburg, VA: Gano, 1992. 157pp $12.
72. Puritan Sermons 1659-1689: Being the Morning Exercises at Cripplegate, St. Giles in the Fields, and in Southwark by Seventy-Five Ministers of the Gospel in or near London with Notes and Translations by James Nichol. In Six Volumes. Volume 2 has a stain on bottom edges, slightly affecting margins, but not affecting the text. Volume 6 has mild damp damage to bottom corner of the pages of the volume, not affecting text or integrity. Wheaton, IL: Richard Owen Roberts, 1981. xvi,688;xi,692; xii,624; xi,616; viii,727; viii,804pp ***First published in 6 volumes 1661-1675; reprinted 1844-1845 by James Nichol, also in 6 volumes. $350.
73. Rutherford, Samuel. The Letters of Samuel Rutherford. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1973. Paperback, slightly toned pages. Light underlining primarily in footnotes. MS writing on the back cover (a verse of The Sands of Time are Sinking). 266pp $7.
74. Ryken, Leland. Worldly Saints: The Puritans as they Really Were. Grand Rapids, MI: Academic Books, 1986. xix, 281pp $30.
75. Sedgwick, Obadiah. The Doubting Believer: A Treatise containing the Nature, the Kinds, the Springs, and the Remedies of Doubting Incident to Weak Believers. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1993. DJ somewhat scuffed at edges. xii, 214pp $35.
76. Simpson, Alan. Puritanism in Old and New England. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1966. Paperback with previous owner’s embossed mark. Extensive green highlighting throughout. 126pp $5.
77. Shepard, Thomas. The Works of Thomas Shepard. In Three Volumes. Volume 1: The Sincere Convert and Sound Believer. Volume 2: The Parable of the Ten Virgins. Volume 3: The Works of Thomas Shepard including Theses Sabbaticae. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1991. cxcii,351; 635; xii, 540pp $150.
78. Steele, Richard. A Remedy for Wandering Thoughts in the Worship of God. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1988. xi, 239pp $10.
79. Steele, Richard. The Religious Tradesman. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1989. 216pp $12.
80. Stoddard, Solomon. A Guide to Christ, or The Way of Directing Souls that are under the work of Conversion compiled for the Help of Young Ministers. With an Epistle prefixed by the Rev. Dr. Increase Mather. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1993. DJ has flap torn loose at bottom of spine. xxi, 123pp $16.
81. Swinnock, George. The Works of George Swinnock. In Five volumes. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1992. DJs have very slight fading to spines, otherwise the set is virtually as new. 528; 525; 471; 508; 482pp $80.
82. Toplady, Augustus. The Works of Augustus Toplady. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1987. 915pp plus index. $30.
83. Vaughan, Alden T. and Francis J Bremer, editors. Puritan New England: Essays on Religion, Society, and Culture: Essays on Religion, Society, and Culture. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1977. Paperback. Owner’s name on title. 395pp $15.
84. Vincent, Thomas. The True Christian’s Love to the Unseen Christ. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1993. DJ. xiii, 127pp $15.
85. Wallace, Dewey D, ed. The Spirituality of the Later English Puritans: An Anthology. Macon, GA: Mercer, 1987. DJ. xxxii, 246pp $15.
86. Watson, Thomas. The Beatitudes. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1989. Paperback. 307pp $8.
87. Watson, Thomas. The Doctrine of Repentance. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth,1987. Paperback, top corner of some pages bent (1/8”). 122pp $8.
88. Watson, Thomas. Harmless as Doves: A Puritan’s View of the Christian Life. Ross-shire: Christian Focus, 1993. Paperback reprint of sermons. 189pp $5. $12.
89. Watson, Thomas. Heaven Taken by Storm. Edited by Joel R. Beeke. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1992. DJ rubbed at top and bottom. 129pp $15.
90. Watson, Thomas. The Lord’s Prayer. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1989. Paperback, 332pp $12.
91. Watson, Thomas. A Plea for the Godly, and Other Sermons. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1993. DJ, 480pp $30.
92. SOLD Watson, Thomas. Discourses on Important and Interesting Subjects being the Select Works of the Rev Thomas Watson. Two volumes in One. Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria, 1990. (Reprinted from the 1829 edition) Spine reads Sermons of Thomas Watson. 620pp plus 116pp $35.
93. Watson, Thomas. The Ten Commandments. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1990. 245pp $15.
94. Watson, Thomas and Samuel Lee. The Bible and the Closet and Secret Prayer Successfully Managed. Harrisonburg, VA: Sprinkle, 1992. 128pp $15.
95. Wendell, Barrett. Cotton Mather. New York: Barnes & Noble, 1992. (Reprinted from the 1891 edition) DJ 321pp $20.
96. Whyte, Alexander. Lancelot Andrews and his Private Devotions: A Biography, a Transcript and an Interpretation. Edinburgh: Oliphant Anderson and Ferrier, 1896. Cloth with attached bookmarker. 2nd edition. Light penciling to Biography and Introduction. Owners names inside front cover. 232pp $15.
97. SOLD Whyte, Alexander. Samuel Rutherford and some of his Correspondents. Edinburgh: Oliphant Anderson and Ferrier, 1894. Inner hinge slightly split but binding still solid. Top and bottom of spine both somewhat worn. Inscription inside front cover. Red cloth. $17.50